Quick Facts About Falls
Falls are predictable; let’s prove they are preventable, too.
- Falls are the leading cause of injury to seniors in Canada.
- Nova Scotia, 64% if falls requiring hospital admission occur in the home – this is significantly higher than the national average.
- Each year, one out of every three Canadian seniors will suffer a fall.
- Poorly corrected vision and age-related diseases of the eye are major contributors to the number of falls experience by seniors.
- Injuries caused by falls can result in pain, suffering and loss of independence?
- Falls are preventable.
Download the NS Community Links Falls Prevention home checklist to help identify any hazards that could potentially cause a fall:
Did you know that poorly corrected vision and age-related diseases of the eye are major contributors to the number of falls experienced by seniors? Having your vision checked regularly can help reduce your risk of falling. In Nova Scotia, MSI will cover an eye exam at least every 2 years for those over 65.
Right now is a chance for us to all take a moment and think about how we can support the ones we love when it comes to their mobility. By making sure their living space is safe, they are taking their medication properly, their vision is on track and are getting enough physical activity you can help prevent a fall from happening in the first place.
Contact Northwood Intouch today if you think one of our products or services could benefit your loved one. Call 1-800-461-3346 or 902-492-3346 or email us at email@example.com and we can chat about a solution.