Live More Awards
Since 1998, we have held an annual fundraising dinner. Each year, we honour an outstanding community member with the Hedley G. Ivany Live More Award (formally the Senior of the Year Award). This event is our signature fundraiser every year, and it allows us to fund programs, projects and initiatives at Northwood over and above what is funded by the government. Over the years we’ve raised over $3.4 million at the Live More Awards. These funds have allowed Northwood to add to the quality of life and dignity of our residents, clients and community.
Over the years we’ve been able to fund many special projects that would not have been possible without the Live More Awards. Some of these projects include:
- Updating the dining rooms in the Manor building to make them more functional and less industrial, more like home.
- Purchasing new furniture for the common areas and resident rooms in Halifax, bringing comfort and dignity to our residents.
- Adding a kitchen to the Recreation Therapy office in Halifax, creating a homelike space for residents to use to cook and bake and for families to use to spend time with their loved ones.
- Opening a café on the main floor of Ivany Place in Bedford, giving residents a place to gather with their friends and family for coffee or a meal.
- Renovating the Pauline Potter Fitness Centre, making it the first gym in North America to feature a dementia-friendly design.
- Creating Kaye’s Place, a memories centre on the main floor of the Halifax Campus where we now run programs for residents with dementia.
- Adding a “Cozy Corner” to each floor of the Edward L. Roach Centre for Living in Halifax, a common place for residents to gather with their friends and family outside of their rooms.